Monday, July 27, 2015

Living the Dream!

It all started with a magazine article ... thirty plus years ago!
It began sew long ago ... back when I was new to marriage and quilting ... before the internet ... and the only 24 hour cable channel was MTV!  I read about this outdoor quilt show held during the summer in Sisters, Oregon.  I recall telling my new husband that it would be fun to do that some day.  Life happened ... children were born ... careers were built ... and I forgot all about it until 2012.  You can read that post here.
Instantly ... my dream became a goal.  Three years seemed like a long time ... enthusiasm amongst myself and local QBees would ebb and flow ... but my intentions always remained constant.  The choice to take a scouting trip ... to open participation ... a zillion other decisions ...
.. and suddenly the day was here ... and we were there!  Surreal!
This quilt was hanging in City Hall ...
... designed, made and donated by Jean Wells Keenan.  Jean is the founder of this global quilt event ...
... and owner of the infamous Stitchin' Post!
I had to pinch myself the entire day ... inspiration overload in every possible way!  I took nearly 400 pictures and have struggled with how to share the experience ... yep, this experience was that overwhelming!  In an effort to keep this post somewhat under control ... I've compartmentalized a sampling of quilts ... here goes!

Quilts with Panels
It seems like panels have been very popular in recent years ... and like many, I'm never quite sure how to implement them.  Here are some outstanding examples!




Hexies!



There weren't a lot of hexie quilts ... but I love them!

This modern application was interesting.  The hexagons were appliquéd to long strips of backing and then the strips were sewn together.  The results are wonderful!

Wool Applique
Again ... there wasn't a lot, but I was inspired by the use of wool on pieced cotton quilts.  The snow and snow flakes on this quilt was outstanding.  The photo doesn't do it justice.
This quilt was off the charts ... absolutely stunning.
This is such a charming design and the use of wool just makes it even better.  Wonderful workmanship!

Scrap Quilts
Many of you know that scrap quilts are my favorite!
This was one that won my heart!













I love scrappy patriotic quilts ... and this one captured my heart.

Miscellaneous 
Gorgeous!
An unusual six-sided wedding ring design.
Many of the quilts were for sale ... this one was priced at $19,500.00.  It was interesting to see what the quilts were priced for.
All of the town's public and private buildings were decorated with quilts!  Customer service was excellent in every type of retail store!  Mary Ellen loved this Storm at Sea quilt hung where we enjoyed lunch.
It is amazing how the entire town knew how to service 10,000 plus quilters!  This sidewalk sign cracked us up ... we passed the wine bar at 10:00 am and they were busy!  Too funny!
This quilt made us Alaskans feel at home ... it was designed for an Alaskan shop hop a few years back.

My experience was perfect in every possible way ... even Mother Nature cooperated!  She gifted us with moderate temperatures in the high 70's and low 80's!  DillyDally dreams do come true!  DillyDally goals are accomplished!

Do what you love.  Do dream.  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally 

2 comments:

  1. I love looking at all the quilts. What an awesome experience. Glad you were able to finally live the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the awesome pics.
    LOVE the panel quilts.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete