Friday, November 26, 2010

Blessings found in DillyDally Land...

Like many of you, I spent a great deal of time yesterday counting my blessings.  Recently I was a beneficiary of two random acts of kindness.  Last Saturday I attended a Holiday Open House at The Net Loft, our local yarn and gift shop.  Owner, and long time friend Dotty declared, "I have a gift for you!  When I saw it I just knew it was something Mrs. DillyDally had to have!"  I love it when she calls me Mrs. DillyDally!

For more years than either her or I are willing to count, Dotty has willingly listened to my many stories about my grandmother, great aunts, and the women who were role models for me during my childhood.  As a young child I was surrounded by remarkable women ... here are a few of them ...
... meet the Alida Kitchen Band!  All of these women lived in our small rural community ... neighbors and relatives ... my grandmother is in the back row, fourth from the right.  This band, their instruments made with kitchen utensils, performed all over the state of Minnesota during the late 50's and early 60's.  ;-)  Now you know how I came by my personality!

Dotty had browsed through some antique shops while traveling and found this treasure...
 ... she was right ... it is the perfect reflection of the women I knew and continue to love.  Holding this apron in my hands brings back a flood of warm memories.  It represents so much about the women of that generation and what they taught me.  Having a friend that knows you so well is a blessing in and of itself ... and then to receive such a thoughtful gift ... such a gesture of kindness ... what a blessing to have such a friend. 

While there that afternoon, I was told that a package had been left for me at the counter.  When I picked it up, I learned that it had come from Norway and was from another friend, Christa.  It was securely wrapped in paper and I put it in my bag along with my purchases.  I forgot about it until the next day when I was putting the items I had bought away.  Christa is someone I've known for years, she comes to Cordova every summer while her husband commercial fishes. As our children became teenagers and we became empty nesters, our free time allowed us to find that we have a lot in common ... including our Norwegian heritage.  Look what she gave me from one of my favorite bloggers, Ravenhill ...
...isn't she lovely?  Christa ordered it from Ravenhill's Etsy shop.  This Matryoshka doll was designed and is hand made by Ravenhill...no two are alike!  Doesn't she have a lot of personality?  Yep ... she fits me very well ... we were meant for one another!  She traveled all the way from Oslo, Norway to live with me ...what a blessing ... she and Christa have a special place in my heart!

I am so touched by the generosity of those who surround me ... I am so blessed to have friends who understand and support my quirky dillydally ways ... I struggle in my efforts to show appreciation ... I am humbled ... thank you for your kindness.  
Let us all work at being a blessing in the lives of others ... hmmm ... I need to work that into the Dillydally Creed.  It definitely needs to be a part of the dillydally lifestyle!  Dotty and Christa ... thanks for your inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment